When it comes to treating hearing loss, many people find themselves in a difficult position. On the one hand, hearing healthcare is an investment that pays dividends for years to come. On the other hand, the cost of hearing aids can be prohibitive for some, leading to delays in treatment for up to ten years in some cases.
We understand the financial constraints and want to help inform those seeking treatment in Utah about the options available.
One such option is insurance. Does Aetna Insurance cover hearing aids? It depends on the plan you sign up for, but in some cases, there is coverage. In these instances, Aetna may cover some or all of the cost of regular hearing aids or cochlear implants.
To qualify, your hearing loss and speech recognition must pass a certain threshold determined by a hearing evaluation. In this article, I’ll discuss Aetna’s coverage plans in more detail and advise on how to make the most of their coverage.
Does Aetna Provide Hearing Healthcare Insurance?
Aetna insurance does provide coverage for those with hearing loss in Utah. Aetna covers medically necessary hearing aids and related services as part of its health plans. The coverage is available to those enrolled in Aetna’s medical plans, including Medicare Advantage plans.
Generally, Aetna will cover one hearing aid per ear per three-year period.
The hearing aid must be prescribed by a qualified medical practitioner and dispensed by a licensed hearing instrument provider. In addition, Aetna can cover cochlear implants and associated services for those with severe to profound hearing loss.
These implants are surgically implanted electronic devices that provide a sense of sound to a person who is profoundly deaf or severely hard of hearing. Aetna also covers select diagnostic tests for hearing loss, including audiometry, tympanometry, acoustic reflex testing, and otoacoustic emission testing.
Aetna’s coverage for hearing loss may vary depending on the plan and the state, so it’s important to check with one of our specialists to understand the specific coverage you’re eligible for.
Aetna Hearing Healthcare Insurance Programs
• Aetna Hearing – provides coverage for hearing tests, hearing aids, and maintenance, as well as tinnitus management and non-surgical treatments for hearing loss.
• Hearing Aid Discount Program – Aetna offers discounts on hearing aids purchased through the Aetna Hearing network.
• Aetna Hearing Plus – provides coverage for in-network audiology services, as well as hearing aids and accessories.
• Aetna Hearing Care – provides a comprehensive hearing plan that covers hearing evaluations, hearing aids, and hearing aid accessories.
• Aetna Speech and Hearing Services – covers speech and language evaluations and therapies, as well as hearing tests and hearing aids.
• Aetna Hearing Loss Prevention Program – covers the cost of hearing tests and hearing aids, as well as hearing protection products.
How to Enroll or Adjust Your Current Policy
It’s essential to partner with an audiologist who has a close working relationship with all the major insurance providers. This will help you find the right policy. Or, if you already have a policy, this will help you get the most from it because it can help ensure you receive the most comprehensive coverage possible.
We can help you understand your policy and what it covers, as well as provide guidance on how to navigate the complexities of the system. For example, we’ll find out if hearing aids are covered under the policy and what type of coverage is included.
Overall, scheduling a consultation with one of our specialists can help ensure that you and your family get the most out of your coverage and maximize your hearing health benefits.
We are standing by, so please contact us with any questions you may have about insurance or any other hearing-related topic.
We look forward to helping!